Use code CYBERSHIP on all orders over $50 for FREE ECONOMY SHIPPING
May 05, 2020
Alert! Alert! Partners of awesome moms, MOTHER'S DAY IS THIS SUNDAY, and this year there will be no school-facilitated macaroni necklaces, handprint flower cards, or other cute crafty gifts your kids’ amazing teachers usually provide for those who may have forgotten to plan ahead. It’s all on you this year. But don't fret, we have you covered with a cooking activity the kiddos can practically do by themselves to make a lovely treat for Mom that will make her feel like royalty.
What better way to make Mom feel like the queen she is than by making All City Candy's delicious Red Velvet Chocolate Cherry Scones with Vanilla Cream Drizzle. Scones have been around for a long time – we’re talking since-before-the-United-States-was-a-country long time. The first known recipe dates back to late-1600s England. These were not good scones – basically flour, water, and an egg to bind it all together, then baked and drizzled with a bit of honey to make it more palatable. Needless to say, these scones did not really catch on. But then Queen Victoria's chef worked some kitchen magic, making them sweeter and flakier, and he insisted they be topped with clotted cream. As a result, scones became a staple at high teas under the reign of Queen Victoria and they have maintained their popularity with the current Queen, who is said to eat a scone every day with her “cuppa.”
The highlight of our Red Velvet Chocolate Cherry scones is, you might guess, Milk Chocolate Red Velvet Cherries, which are available at AllCityCandy.com or in our store in Richmond Heights, Ohio. These candies are so decadent you will most definitely want to get more than you need for the recipe. The cherries pair well merlots or other red wines for a sophisticated Mother's Day dessert you can enjoy once the kids go to bed (check out our friends at CLE Urban Winery - they deliver!).
While you're shopping for Milk Chocolate Red Velvet Cherries on our website, you may as well add in a few chocolate roses, too. These are pretty and tasty, sure to delight any mom in your life.
If Mom doesn't care for cherries, or red velvet, these scones would be outstanding with Milk Chocolate Blueberries, too!
Getting back on track, this recipe is pretty low-tech and will require some hands-on work, which is a great way to get your little princes or princesses involved in the baking action.
Yield 8 large scones Ingredients3 cups All Purpose Flour 1/2 cup Sugar5 teaspoons Baking Powder2 teaspoons Cinnamon3/4 cup Cold Butter, diced1/2 teaspoon Salt (omit if using salted butter)1 Egg1 cup Heavy Cream1 to 1-1/2 cups Milk Chocolate Red Velvet Cherries, chopped
Instructions 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. Cut the butter into the flour if you have a pastry blender. If you don’t have a pastry blender, this is where tiny hands come in handy (pun intended!): Squeeze the butter into the flour mixture using fingertips until it resembles coarse sand. There should not be any large chunks of butter left. You can use a food processer for this step as well, but that just means more dishes to wash.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon or stiff spatula, stir around the bowl three to four times.
5. Add in the chopped Red Velvet Cherries and continue to stir another six to eight times.
6. Lightly flour a clean work surface and dump out the crumbly mess that’s inside your bowl. Knead the dough mound a few times until it comes together and can be rolled. You may need to re-flour your work surface a few times, but go easy on the flour -- the more flour you add, the tougher the scones will become.
7. Roll out the dough into a 1/2-inch thick circle and cut into eight wedges (this makes huge wedges), or use a 2-inch round cookie cutter for traditionally shaped scones. Added tip: To show your love for your queen, you may want to consider cutting the dough into heart shapes 😉
8. Place cut dough on the cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how large your scones are once cut. We baked our wedges for 20 minutes.
9. Once done, let scones cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then serve with a Vanilla Cream Glaze and extra Red Velvet Cherries as a yummy garnish.
Ingredients 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Instructions 1. Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl. 2. Add in the cream and vanilla and stir until smooth. 3. Drizzle your scones with the glaze. If your scones are still warm, the glaze will turn more translucent; if your scones are completely cool, the glaze will have a more solid white color.
We hope you’ll make these scones for the queen in your life, and would love to see pictures of the kids helping in the kitchen. Be sure to tag us on social media with your Red Velvet Chocolate Cherry Scones fit for royalty!
Want to be the first to hear about tasty updates, offers and promotions at All City Candy? Subscribe now and you'll receive an email with a coupon for 10% off your next order!
Comments will be approved before showing up.